Our mission is to share the wonders of the natural world by publishing books from experts in the fields of gardening, horticulture, and natural history. Grow with us.

Evolution of a book cover

by Timber Press on June 5, 2015

in Design

Art-of-Gardening-GIF-250Don’t judge a book by it’s cover. Or so the saying goes. But people do it anyway, a fact we’re keenly aware of here at Timber Press. Our book covers go through an intensive approval process in which we fret over every element: Is the title descriptive enough? Would a subtitle help? Does the image communicate effectively the contents? A book’s cover can make the difference between reaching its intended audience and languishing on the bookstore shelf.

The Art of Gardening is a lush book about the celebrated public garden Chanticleer in Pennsylvania. It provides inspiration and practical advice from the gardeners who design and maintain the grounds and R. William Thomas, executive director of the Chanticleer Foundation. Add to that the photography by Rob Cardillo and creating an impressive cover becomes paramount. Which may be why this particular cover went through so many iterations!

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

1 eve June 5, 2015 at 3:02 pm

I have to say 18 is my favorite. The Red Hot Pokers are stunnig with the background. All the scenes are beautiful. I will be saving for this book!

2 Shirley June 5, 2015 at 6:09 pm

26 is my pick. Colors, texture, and title are the most inviting.

3 Cris June 6, 2015 at 5:32 am

27 is my vote. Somehow the sideways title is more quirky and visually compelling, just like Chanticleer!

4 CB June 8, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Ten or twelve. The gardens/pics are pulled back enough to show that these are Artful Gardens, and the crops are eye catching. That said, the close ups (spec the alliums) have great graphic punch, but personally, they wouldn’t convince me the garden is artful.

5 CB June 8, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Changed my mind. Flipping thru again, I think the type and title on 27 is the most right-now looking, design wise. And the cropped area of the garden looks doable even if you don’t have a million dollar house.

6 Chris June 9, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Love the striking image in #5. I find this urban lush floral feel very energetic and appealing.

I’m also drawn to the stylized/graphic look of #25. It would be interesting to see how the cover looks with the side spine treatment. As it is, I find the text block and multiple text placements a bit distracting.

7 Andrea Bellamy June 10, 2015 at 11:35 am

I’m not sure – 7? 10? 20? – but I know I want this book!

8 Brian Ridder June 10, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Wow. There are just about as many favorite picks as we have cover versions. Thanks for all the comments!